- GOT MY LAPTOP BACK <3 <3 <3 <3 YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW EXCITED I AM.
- Tyrone and Andy updated with VA preview added
- Finished writing Jay and Andy's romance path. Jay's is really simple and sweet with a twist. and Andy's is about as dramatic as Max's. Andy's a real rebel apparently, and a bit of a drama queen. Here's a hint- you stay the night with him (as friends of course.) Andrew (Andy's VA) personally said he liked it, but I'm sure he's just being nice ;P
- Working on finishing the maps!
- We're looking for gamer feedback for suggestions! On the home page, there's a link to a form. It's 100% anonymous!
- Working on piecing together the game so the first year can complete properly (Which shockingly won't take long at all.)
- I found old school work in the CD files o.o Like, essays I did for school. Needless to say, that didn't belong there. someone takes a look through my files, finds an essay on a movie I watched in grade 9 LOL
- While cleaning out CD files to have the second copy of the game to slowly work with, I found Child Jay (lol) and "Guy 8.png" as well as several other characters I wanted to fill the town with.
- I also found members of the side plot. Good times. (Side plot revolving the spirits? It was a long time ago LOL)
- My giant file purge made me realize that a few songs which were unused ended up being 334mb of wasted data. Those songs made up 70% of the entire size of the game o.o The game is now only about 112mb with still unused data on it. (still incomplete, but still)
- Petals, Sparkles and leaves fall depending on the time of year
- Seasonal music plays in the Afternoon only. In the morning, different sound effects play only (i.e. birds chirping or cicadas).
- Footstep noises play outside in the morning and evening based on where you're walking. (THIS may be changed due to extreme lag it causes ;-; I may just limit it.)
- Decor will be a thing in CD based on upcoming events
Cutbacks and Improvements
A lot of them are reduction of map quantities. If you're wondering, the more maps caused the game to lag. If I wasn't so adamant on getting this game out, I would transfer everything over to VXace and just do it from there (Since it's 5x faster) but it doesn't make sense at this point as it would take 10x longer just to re-add everything. I'll just stick to XP and my next game will be on VXace I think with XP-styled graphics!
- Events are now grouped together by variables. This has effectively decreased the number of maps for events by a ton. So this means, instead of having Kyler's three events in the cafe being in three identical maps, they are now grouped into one map- but are triggered separately.
- The bathroom, kitchen and Living room, as well as the upstairs rooms have been grouped together in two maps. This has effectively removed 5 extra maps- helping eliminate lag.
- The Valitrov and Kirimura household have also been mapped on a single map.
- We've simplified some features, so it'll take less than an hour to finish, while still keeping in what was promised and making it fun!
Fall 8 times, stand up 9
I got the critique today that I needed to re-draw all of my face sprites, or at least edit them to make them more variant- since the faces look too similar being too inadequate for an otome game. It wasn't something that was just said by one person- but several.
I feel like I've let you guys down again. But I think I should let you know that I'm not going to anymore. While I'm not going to redraw the face sets, I will be making the emotions more variant to display further characterization. I'm trying not to let critiques get to me, but to be honest the art is one of those things that probably hits home the most.
I really feel down in the dumps, but I can't let that stop me. Not anymore. I won't hiatus on you, I promise. I just need to sleep on it.
THE. NEXT. DAY.
Suzie Erin Layton
Opening- The very beginnings
The game begins sweetly, mother tucking her child into bed. Below is a before and after of the CG used in the first scene. The mouth of the mother animates. The compared works were drawn only three months apart.
The actual intro event will be released later
Unused Max Romance event
Andy: “Come on, you’ve got to admit that was pretty low!”
Roxie: “It was just meant to be a joke, you know that! It’s Max we’re talking about.”
Roxie: “You know, he once cried when my dad killed a spider-“
Max: “That was you, sis.”
Andy: “Your pranks are getting out of hand!”
Max: “Andy, it was harmless! Here she is, safe and sound!”
Roxie: “Leave it to Andy to make this into such a big deal.”
Andy: “It’s not what was taken, but rather how it was taken.”
The hero enters.
Max: “Hey! I need your help with something… Ms. buzzkill over there is being a little bit of a drama queen.”
Roxie: “No reaction to ‘drama queen’? I guess you get that a lot, Andy.”
Max: “Well… You see, I played a bit of a prank on Andy the other day.”
Max: “It was just a bit of harmless fun, but he’s angry about it.”
Andy: “You stole from me, and left a ransom note!”
Roxie: “He stole a paperclip and wrote the note on a napkin with lipstick.”
Andy: “Max has lipstick?”
Max: *Joking/sweetly sarcastically* “If it makes your eyes pop, then why not?” *laughing*
Roxie: “My dad bought it for my mom. He gave it to me last year, but I never wore it.”
Max: “Hey, let’s stop playing the blame game and do something fun.”
Roxie: “how about a prank call?”
Andy: “More pranks?
Max: “How about it? Will you join us? I promise we won’t get into any trouble!”
Andy: “You can promise that?”
The screen transitions.
Max: *on the phone* “Hey is [Choose a random name] There?”
Max: “Really? I could have sworn I had the right number.”
Max: “Well, if you do see them, please tell him/her that his/her [create some random and weird pizza combo] is ready.”
Max hangs up
Roxie: “Hurry! Come on! Call them back!”
Max: *On phone* “Hello? My name is [Same name as above chosen].”
Max: “is there a message for me?”
Max: “Ahh! My Pizza is ready? Thank you very much. I’ve been waiting several [time increments] for this day!”
Max: “Bye bye!”
Andy: “you’re such a child sometimes…”
Max: “you’ve got to admit though! Their reaction was great!”
Max: “Hey, thanks for humoring me. I know prank calls are pretty fourth grade, but I’m glad you stuck around.”
End event 1
Max Unused love event #2
Max: *pondering* “Was it- Tales of? Legend of? Kingdom? Final?” (C/N Before you beat yourself up: “Tales of Symphonia, legend of Zelda, Kingdom hearts, Final Fantasy”. )
Max: “Tales of the final Kingdom Legend? That doesn’t sound right…”
Max: “Hey, do you want to come? I’d like the company~!”
Max: “My sister? She’s too busy beating my high scores at the moment…”
Max: “I welcome the accompaniment if you’re up to it!”
Max: “Great! Don’t worry about bus fare! I can drive us.”
Screen to black. Assumed to be in the car.
Max: “Q-Quiet? Me? No… I’m just… thinking!”
Max: “Okay! Okay. You got me.”
Max: “You’re the first person I’ve driven other than my sister. It’s making me anxious.”
Max: *laughs sweetly* “Don’t be nervous. I’m a good driver, okay?”
Max: “I’m glad you could come with me. It’s not fun buying video games alone.”
Monologue from the hero. They are in the store. Some guys make some stupid comments
Guy1: “Are you ready to get the new C.O.D?”
Guy2: “yeah! I heard you can actually play as the salmon this time!”
Guy1: “haha, check it out! Look at the girl! She’s in the [varies based on choice] section!”
Guy2: “S’cuze me miss, but the make-over and dress-up games are best played online!”
Guy1: “Aren’t you afraid that you’re going to break a nail picking up such a big scary box.”
Max: “Oi! Do you two have a problem?”
Guy1: “Well yeah. This is a man’s hobby, buddy. Can’t you just feel the whole industry crumbling?”
Max: *laughs* “You’re kidding right? Have you listened to yourself?”
Guy2: “Yes. I think.”
Guy1: “Look, blondie. If you don’t stay true to the gamer code, then get out.”
Max: “All games have code- but they all can be altered in their own way.”
The boys give some more sassy comment.
Max: “Have you ever heard of the legendary gamer, ‘The Poisoned Camellia’?”
Guys agree, referring to how good ‘he’ is.
Max: “He? He happens to be my sister.”
Max: “She’s won several world championships and still has time to do other things.”
Max: “Hm… with your silence, I rest my case.”
Max: “Leave my friend alone. I think her love for games makes her even more awesome.”
Max: *To the player*“Are you ready to go? Let’s get you out of this place.”
Max: “Hm? I know you’re no damsel in distress. People like them just bring out the worst in me.”
Max: “I know you could’ve handled it yourself. But you shouldn’t have to.”
Max: “When it comes down to it, we’re all human. You’re allowed to be angry or sad, lash out or defend yourself.”
Max: “But… we sometimes need someone to back us up. We can’t go through everything alone.”
Max: “So, what I’m trying to say is…”
Max: “You can depend on me, ‘kay?”
Celestial Dance, by the end of this week will be on Alpha testing for the first 5th of the game.
This is absolutely crazy. This means 1/5th of the game will be compelely playable, features and all, just with some missing cutscenes. This ALSO means that another 5th of the game can be completed since the pre-teen chapter is a partical copy paste of the child chapter with less dialogue and scenes to care about.
What does this mean? This mean the game is raising to a level of actual completeness. This is surreal. This is real.
In honour of this, and in honour of the start of spring/ the Persian new year I have decided to release a video of the introduction scene to CD. It will be without the anime intro (Because, as I may have mentioned, that as well as most animated CGs will be completed during the beta test period.)
The next part of this will be talking about what will happen after the alpha test is complete and some things to prepare for.
Preparing: Top things you need to know as we go further.
Here are the top things you should know and prepare for in the coming weeks:
BE PREPARED FOR...
- More secrets: The game is filled with plot twists and shockers. Be prepared to hear more about something you won't know about until you play the game
- More love interest talks: I do these frequently, but I will further speak about the love interests to help bring to light who you may want to romance first.
- More footage and/or screenshots
- Less long updates, more brief ones: Because I will mainly be working on things such as dialogue, the updates will be more frequent but much shorter, as there will be little I can talk about without spoilers!
- No new characters: Shiro was truly the last of their era, there will be no new characters in CD as far as we know.
- Voice acting Previews
- System updates/Updated known content: The hunger system is going to be changed to a mood system, and you will be seeing the reflection of that shortly. More updates will be shown over the next few weeks
- Less Openness on my part:The downside to all of this is that I will be less likely to share parts of the game, as we're getting into spoiler territory.
- More unused content: Much like the above Max content.
- More nostalgic posts: More posts that are very reminiscent of the beginning stages of the game including origins, fun facts etc. as we move forward.
- FINALLY be prepared for a video that will be releasing the opening to celestial dance minus the animated opening. That is coming very soon.
Hunger System: Massive Change Alert
I'd Like to introduce...
Celestial Dance: Kokoro
There are two major areas to the spectrum:
There are six parts to energy that can appear:
1. Full (Ate the right amount of food.)
2. Getting (Ate a while ago, but getting hungry)
3. Starving (Needs to eat. Cured by eating)
These three are results of time. As time carries on, the hero gets hungry.
4. Nauseous (A result of illness, random mornings, pregnancy or eating when full. Fixed by medication or over time.)
5. Feverish/Cold (Result of random timing. Fixed by getting medication from the clinic or over time.)
Special Case- Health:
6. Tired (A result of all of the above. At 1am, if you don't get to bed, you will collapse from sleepiness no matter what. You will collapse from being too tired if you work too hard in the mines, wait too long to eat, stay up too late, or work too hard while you're sick. You can help stay awake by having coffee and taking naps. It works as a stamina counter to help limit the amount you can mine or fish to avoid fast money.)
Moods can be caused by cutscenes (reactions differ based on personality) or by simple things like talking to your friends, or eating your favourite foods. If something bad happens to the player cutscene wise, her mood will drop making her emotionally exhausted. There is no spectrum for moods, so they are improved simply by doing things that make her happy or sad.
Types of Moods:
- Elated (Caused by cut scenes, events or eating favourite foods.)
- Sad (Caused by cutscenes, can tire the hero)
- Angry (Caused by cutscenes or speaking to certain characters. Can tire the hero.)
- Nostalgic (Caused by cutscenes or by interacting with certain objects.)
- Normal (default emotion.)
- Nausea also can come from starvation. If you wait too long to eat, you will get sick, your tiredness will escalate and you will pass out.
- If you are getting close to passing out, you will get a message from your character telling you to go get something to drink to wake them up.
- Anger and sadness can cause illness and increase of fatigue. If you are angry and sick, you are likely to pass out before 1am.
- States do not change even if overrided. You can be hungry, sick and tired, but sleepiness will be the only thing that shows. You can be hungry and sick, but sickness takes priority over hunger.
- With the above as a given, it is a progressive result. Hunger causes sickness which causes tiredness.
- These states change at the change of the hour, but moods change instantly.
I'm glad you like him ^-^ He's grown on me too, but I'm redrawing him ^-^;;;; I'm still not happy! I feel that it is too! I'm so excited to get working on it some more!
Comment on last blog post:
It all went well! Everything is here and accounted for!!
LOL I think it's because I pretended to make so much progress on the school system when in reality I'd just stare at it. Luckily, I've cut the system down a bit, so it's much more manageable :) So I'm rewriting all of it, and it's taking me so little time, it's wonderful!
Ahahahaha I understand <3 I've been falling for Aris a bit lately. It's probably the dreams I have about him. But Jet is well on his way to being fully voiced, and his romance path is really sweet, so I hope I do him justice!
I'm so glad you like it!!
Ahahaha Thank you!! I'm sorry I haven't been active lately! I've been busy with school and the game and voice actors and writing so responding to people has been a bit difficult <3 I hope all is well!!
Some interesting facts about making the game...
- I've only ever dreamed Aris. He joined a boy band that is part of another canon of mine and cut his hair. I've never dreamed any other CD charaters. Same goes with ED (The novel I wrote years ago.)
- The hardest part to write in the game is the default sounds since they're so tedious.
- Making the characters speak differently is one of my biggest issues.
- A lot of the male characters have had to be extensions of myself just to compensate for the fact that I'm a) attracted to men and b) am absolutely not romantic what so ever. Kyo in particular is just the embodiment of stupid things I've said around a guy. Tristan is basically a reflection of how I feel around some guys in general and Leo is the way I interact with friends. Max, Andy, Ty, Aris and other of my personal favourite characters are the most difficult to write for, as I'm writing as the player to fall for the character opposed to the character interacting with environments
- The fact that I used to dislike Jet, Jay, Damion and Kyler was is complete correlation as to how they ended up living together. When I used to feel so strongly against them, I took out my frustrations by refusing them the right to have their own house. They ended up becoming of my favourite characters across all of my canons, so Jokes on me.
- The game could have been finished long ago if I had organized my time properly, and made plans opposed to just winging it. Realistically, I've done more work this year than all the others combined.
- This was the only one of my canons that hit pre-teen hood, teenage years and adult years of mine. It completely embodied all of those life stages. It was because of my personal maturing over time that a lot of things were toned down later on.
- There were well over 120 auditions for Jet alone in the few years that he was up for casting.
- Every main male character has had at least one voice actor before their final voice was chosen
- Jay is the only character who's appearance duration was reduced in the game from starting in chapter 1 to chapter 3 onwards
- The most common topic that I speak about in my game is the voice acting horror stories.
- The amount of mature content in the game has fluctuated over time. It was originally introduced when I was making Artists Canvas (Which was fairly open and expressive- particularly about sexuality) in just humour. It was taken out of the game, and was limited to a simple "Let's have kids some day". Mature themes was re-introduced as a warning as an easter egg was written into the game with PG13 concepts added in. (Even less obvious than some online games, but still pretty clear.) topics as such have been only offered in a way that no one offended by them can actually view the scenes or encounter the easter eggs. (Otherwise warnings are in place: I.e. No warning is in effect for the drunken scene of the boys, but you are told the situation before you see the scene to choose whether or not you are okay to view it, but Kyler's romance path has a warning of implied former usage and tobacco reference.)
- A lot of revamps are solely based off of my jealous persona.
- The idea of adding in the ability to choose your last name wasn't to combat the auto-adopt of the partner's last name- it was actually the opposite.
- I still sometimes think characters are in the game that really aren't. (HOLLY FOR EXAMPLE. DEAR GOD.)
- While voicing Tytannia over the years, there is a clear difference. Tytannia used to have a stronger feminine tone to her voice, but then later went strictly to a voice I use for my male characters. I have no idea how it happened, it just did.
- Deucetokki was the original VA who played Roxie in CD. It was before I was brave enough to voice in anything.
- Boy 8 was a character I considered more attractive than most of the ones who actually made it to the final.
- The CD ending is pretty weak imo-- the driving emotions come before the final cutscene in a scene titled "Follow your dreams" and finally "I'll love you forever". When writing those scenes I ended up sobbing.
- Two Daniels, Two Johns, Two Jon B.s, Three Chriss, blue Sky + Skye blue + Sky + Skye + Lana Sky, Andy played by Andrew, James CV James, Tsuki + Mizu + Mizura + Mirne. I think I can safely say my cast is realllllllllllllly ironic name wise.
- I've never met another person online with the same name as me, though I have met someone named "Roxanne" Which is close enough
- My updates are written over the span of several weeks
- Voice actors disappearing and reappearing is what sends me into perpetual bad moods.
- 80% of new ideas for the game come while I'm in lecture.
- My least favourite character is Piroline.
- My top five favourite characters in order are: Max, Aris, Tyrone, Kyler and Andy- They are also ones with most researched, fleshed out and intense dialogue and scenes.