- Instead of playing harvest moon forever, I played the sims 3 for a while LOL. It inspired one of the biggest new additions to the game :)
- Creature has Roxie talking in the third person. Go Roxie!
- I bought a new sketchbook finally- So I'll be drawing a little more since I have a more portable one :)
Cut Game Content- Mitzi's Letter
I'm not exactly sure how much you guys know about Tytannia and her past, but despite her goofy exterior, she has a pretty dark story. When she was a kid, her mother came into Elica/Araysia for a brief period of time. Tytannia was acting up, And Mitzi left Tytannia in the rain.
The original story was a little darker, but Mitzi in general left Tytannia, who was found by Lara who took her in. Originally, Lara was an acquaintance of Mitzi, and she left her daughter with them, promising to return.
The entire story about why Tytannia and Tristan ended up as adoptive siblings is questionable and now very up in the air. We DO know that Mitzi left Tytannia, and she was a jerk who was egocentric and rude.
Several years ago, I wanted to implement an item called "Mitzi's letter" and I even have the image written out. I actually cut this part in the game, as this is implied throughout Tytannia's dialogue, but I figured I'll add it to the update anyway! It's not very dark, but it's still a bit hard to get through. It was very childishly written and full of exposition LOL but oh well.
Cut Game Graphic- Max and the Hero's Cheek kiss
After first drawing Cindy, I ended up drawing Max and the Hero for the cheek kiss. It was my best drawing of that time and I still have the traditional drawing somewhere. It was done completely by track pad (not even a mouse lol) OMG SO LONG AGOOOO AND SOOO BAAADDD.
My lovely harvest moon quest for inspiration
I may have figured out how to do the walking transition between areas, but I'll have to make loads of variables and switches to make it work.
I'd like to have a schedule out side of the single and simple one that I have for the characters now. ugh.... I'll give it a try I guess.
SO... Here are my (new) ideas thus far
- Character schedules and transition movements.
- A few more recipes
...To be honest, I tried playing so many games and though they were nostaglic, I was SO stumped. I today played: A wonderful life, another wonderful life, Sunshine islands, island of happiness, a new beginning, friends of mineral town, magical melody, DS (I left out ds cute, animal parade and tree of tranquility- though I should play the last two since they were some of my favorites)
However, if you read below, I also played another game that gave me LOADS of inspiration!
Recipe inspirations: Harvest moon
Egg over rice
Hard boiled egg
Zaru Soba (These have been my life for the last year)
Harvest moon like movement system
I've completed a harvest moon-like movement system for major characters (And holy crap it sucks to make.)
I've only done Kyler's one morning movements to the park. So basically, each character will have a schedule and some are more complex (namely the guys) and if you are in the location they are heading to at the time they are heading to that location, you will see them walk there. When they stop walking, you can talk to them. When they are in their morning or night locations, that is when you know their crush or friendship status. While they're out and about, they have a random set of dialogue that stays the same no matter your relationship. YAY.
You can check out the slideshow below to see how it works. Basically, he will start walking from the shopping district (Since he goes to the cafe in the mornings.)
- There are several districts in the game: Housing 1, housing 2, relaxation, forest, and business. To this day, I cannot spell business without a reference or spell check. Therefore, the map name has been misspelled since the creation of the map/the game.
- Creating the movement system was fun- since at times, two Kylers would appear on the screen. Yay...
- The time between pictures 3 and 4 above is different because I messed up the eventing so that Kyler wouldn't talk to you.
- Anna is the only character thus far to use the word 'Trolling" in the game- Though Dakota is not the only character to say 'adorbes'.
- Officially, Celestial dance has been worked on in a global scale. I have worked on it while I was in: Canada, USA (Florida was where it was primarily started), Mexico, Trinidad/Tobago, Saint Martain, St. Thomas, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Turkey, Japan and Russia. This is due to the fact that I have worked my hardest while on cruises and on cruise ports- so I would be in these places working on the game. Plus~ Japan inspired me a lot LOL.
- There are a total of 3 completely drawn and coloured drawings done entirely digitally for the CD title screen. Damion is officially the first character to be drawn for the title screen, and they do not include the sprites used in game. If the record stays the same, I will be able to finish in 7 days.
- If you run the CD pictures really quickly through a previewing program, it looks like Damion is saying "Nom Nom Nom"
- My life goal is to create CD in Japanese one day- even though I'm not incredibly amazing at writing yet. Each male and female even have preset ways of saying 'I' and 'you'- and this became very complicated. Max, based off of Max Tate (Who uses 'boku') uses 'Ore' and 'Kimi'. The Decision to actually think about these was actually a project for me to help better understand personalities and their connection to language in Japanese, English and otherwise.
- Along with the above trivia, nearly all of the guys would use 'ore' (Max, Andy, Gage, Tyrone, Damion, Kyler, Jet) and all but one after that would use 'boku' (Tristan, Leo, Aris... probably...) and Jay would use Watashi. All the girls would alternate between 'Atashi' and 'Watashi' (The two primarily used for females) With the exception of one girl who uses 'Boku' (Scarlet) and Tytannia (Who comically uses the overly masculine 'Ore')
- Nearly all of the CGs in CD including the completed ones for the title screen are all drawn digitally. This is the first time ever I've accomplished this, as I usually draw traditionally.
- Aris's drawing (initially mentioned in the last post) was not originally meant for CD. It was a random doodle that I fell in love with. He was meant to be a tribute to Kai Hiwatari (Facial stripes) but ended up being a Fuuto tribute this year
- Aris's tattoo (no longer visible but still mentioned) was chosen since I used to love the colour and general structure of the planet 'Uranus" when I was a kid. As I got older, I considered it the 'misunderstood planet' due to its name and it's still to this day, my favorite.
- I downloaded an entire texture pack for Photoshop just to make Aris's hood.
- The colour pallet, design, inspiration and art style mimic two variants of anime- Beyblade (g-revolution) and Brothers Conflict (visual novel and anime). The inspiration for the overhaul was based on the picture below (Which is brothers conflict). Yusuke, Fuuto, Tsubaki, Natsume, Masaomi and Ukyo are all my faves, but only Tsubaki, Natsume and Azusa (Center white hair, Dark hair and orange hair) + Fuuto (The fourth one from the left streatching) are the ones that influenced the poses of the new face sprites. Fuuto was used for Aris, Tsubaki was used for Max, Azusa/Tsubaki for Kyler and Natsume for Andy (All of which were then used to make further face sprites.)
Aris's Romance event Preview- Written style
WARNING: Minor spoilers and lazily written text that sounds like it's been written by a twelve year old. :)
I take a breath, wafting the soft and lightly salted sea air as my heart pounds uncomfortably against my rib-cage. The spray of the waters kiss my chattering lips, sent away with the oncoming winds. Parts of me wish to jump into the waters and swim as far away as I could, but I know I have to be strong. He wouldn't do the same. Anger simmers, boiling over with the sting of tears, hazing over the baby blue ocean I watch with adoration.
bzz. My phone rings. I ignore. The ring tone goes off softly in my pocket- the custom one set that alerted me that my mother was calling. -beep-
"Darling!" I recoil without a word at the scratchy hiss of the reception. "Where are you? Why weren't you answering your phone."
"Mom..." I whisper softly. Shifting my gaze down to my feet, I notice the water lightly covering my toes. I lightly grip the back of my unworn shoes with my two fingers, becoming more and more away from anything but the here and now. My thoughts were stonewalled to be contained within my own surroundings. Realizing I have yet to reply, I push out the only words I can manage to craft together: "I'm fine."
"Aris came to me looking for you! Please tell me..." Her voice trails off. 'Aris'. Echos begin to swirl in my mind again as the simple mention of the name takes over my emotions. If he found me like this, he'd probably laugh. He doesn't even try to pretend to be concerned with me. Why should I care anymore? Maybe if I left town and changed my name to something... German. No. I won't let some guy control my life. I... I am better than he is.
"I'm fine, Mom." I bark with a little more confidence- and yet my voice has reduced to that of a mouses. I don't bother listening to what she has to say, as I end the call during her mid sentence.
Again, it rings. I carelessly lift the phone to my ear, opening my mouth to speak to my mother.
"You idiot! Where are you?!" It's not mom...
"Where did you go?! I've been looking everywhere for you! ANSWER ME!" I end the call as soon as I can, sucking in the calm air, which did everything but soothe my adrenaline rush, sweating palms and bulge in my throat. I swallow repeatedly trying to stop myself from crying, but I can tell now- I'm scared.
"Don't hang up on me when I'm talking to you." The voice that was once on the other end of the phone solidifies into reality. They are behind me; I've been discovered. I whip around, the taller and angry faced boy glaring from just a few meters away. My mind told me I didn't want to be found, but I secretly tell myself that this truly is what I've been waiting for: Aris standing before me and in this moment- I am superior.
Memory System- NEW FEATURE
For those of you that don't know... The memories are basically significant life points that are put together into a string of pictures after your sim does something important.
For Celestial Dance, my idea for the ending was to display a series of written achievements at the end, but it began to get complicated and I had to significantly simplify my original plans. I had to cut things like favorite food achievements and keep it strictly to the singular options such as husband, job and personality.
Now... things have changed.
I'd like to welcome a simple, yet awesome addition to the CD universe: The memory system.
I had looked into it a couple months ago... but I originally decided against it. The system is based upon game_guy's achievement script. I basically took it and made them into memories. These are some of the categories:
-Standard Memories (You always get these- so cut scenes and stuff)
- Special Memories (Ones that you must trigger- i.e. random event)
- Character Memories (To do with each character)
- Personal memories (Likes, dislikes etc)
- Easter eggs (Stuff I put in the game for fun LOL)
Each time you unlock one of these memories, you'll get some points (Specified in the memory its self). THIS IS NOT 100% CONFIRMED. It is possible to get points with the script, but it is currently turned off. The idea though, is that you get points based on these memories, and you will be able to exchange them for special items, gold and other good stuff.
The memories are accessible via the menu! It's a great thing to work forward to if you love achievements, or if you just want bonus stuff in-game, this will be the perfect addition to the game! It kind of fills a hole that I feel was lacking severely in the game.
(About the second image:
*Accidental glitch* The word "Memories" replaced "Save" By accident. But, never the less, it is the last option on the menu. You will get an achievement at the start of the game as well, so your memories are never empty!)
But in all honesty, Artists canvas will be WAAAAAAAAY shorter than Celestial dance production wise (cuz I'll know what I'm doing this time) and it has a lot less of a structure.
When it comes to CD things AFTER STT is done, I will be revamping THIS website to be exclusive to shift the tide and upload guides and stuffs for you guys to use. I will also be planning to do a few giveaways (some may be fundraisers for charity things, some may be just straight out free raffles.) such as hand sewn Plushies of the characters, ACEO cards and other stuff I can think of ;_;
A New Friend
When trying to figure out the intro of the game, I realized I should have a game tutorial on how to play since there are things like dashing, kissing and talking that make it difficult to just do it in game. In order to do this, I decided to make the hero have a little friend to teach her things.
There's also a little thing I have at the start of the game for you guys, so I needed this.
*SLIGHT SPOILERS ABOUT GAME OPENING* (If you want the whole freaking game to be a surprise XD)
In the very opening scene, your mother will re-assure you that this move will be the start of something great. She gives you a little plushie she calls "Creature". It's a cute little white plush with a little accessory attached to it. You snuggle with your new toy and fall asleep, ready for your move the next day. Amidst the dark of night you "Wake up" in a dream world to a high annoying (specifically my) voice. Your new plushie has come to life in a dream, and introduces itself. It plays a couple game with you (After you name it) and it teaches you how to play the game. It also sets up things like your starting outfit etc.
The cool thing about "creature" is that it has four different forms that you trigger. You get ONE of these forms at the start of your game, and it is determined by random. One wears a halo (Creature Honor), another holds sushi with rice on its mouth (Creature Maki), the third has a flower on its head (Creature Kiwi) and the last one wears a raspberry (Creature Razzy).
All other creatures are recolours of Creature Honor. They look better in game, since you don't see as many mistakes. But it's a little creepy sometimes XD
My least favorite is probs Kiwi and my favorite is Honor.
Remember, please don't post any CD art outside of the website~ It's obviously my property... that should go without saying though~
And duh, it looks pretty awful anyway XD So no one would want to steal this art, but W/e XD
Creature is genderless (unless you want to pretend it has a gender, otherwise it's not specified. I pretend it's female cuz my voice sounds ridiculously feminine even though I tried to tone down my regular feminine accent D:) and it is nameable (It's default name is "Creature" with the nickname 'Kiwi', "Razzy", "Honor" and "Maki") and it appears every time you need a tutorial in the game. You can also access the plushie for tutorials during game play.
TBH it kind of scares me a little. I really should fix it. Each time I see it it looks worse XD Well it is in a dream, so it doesn't have to look amazing I guess... It's mainly the dark lines and the side of the face LOL. Oh well..
Celestial Dance CG- Celeste
It won't help much, but sure as hell will let people know that this crappy drawing is none other than Roxie's :)
Anyway, this is meant to be a photograph of Celeste Destiny before her pregnancy with Max. The CG is plot oriented I guess. I just wanted to practice LOL. You can also find this on Deviant art :)
The OC system: Celestial Dance Opening
Due to the clothing changes, it was impossible for me to implement anything custom since I don't really have any custom scripts for it, and most games use either scripts or models for that kind of thing.
However... I decided to implement something that may help.
It's not a REAAALLY big system, but hopefully it'll make the game a little more special.
Basically, at the very start, you are given a picture menu (btw, I'm very proud of myself for it) and you create a custom look for your character (It's usually 3 options for each- Skin, Hairstyle and hair colour). It's not permanent, since all of the clothing is drawn with the default long blonde hair, but after that, you'll get a special outfit in your inventory that will allow you to change into this OC at any time. The hunger sprite and affiliated artwork is not affected by this change, but I figured it'd be nice ^.^
You can have 3 options for each of each type. The two standard hair colours are brown and blonde, and each hairstyle has a special colour as well for each. There are over 20 different combos you can make with this system- and if you don't want to make an OC, then you can make an 'Alice' look-alike and just get the special dress that comes with the OC. (and no, it's not the one in the previews below. It's a blue recolour with a ribbon)
Below the slide show is an example of an OC.
I'm glad you liked them ^_^ Damion is a bit of a sweetie sometimes. His path is actually really sweet (though the ending made a carbon copy for Aris basically) and I worked really hard to try to make his dialogue to be good ^_^ Maybe he'll grow on you a little bit later on XD He's a lot like Kyler except more closed off and awkward around the hero LOL.
I've worked a lot with Aris lately~ I hope his path will be worth your while! He's a bit unbearable at first, but I do like him~ So I put a lot of effort into his path too ;_; I really hope you do like him in game~ :)
I promise, it'll be a lot more fun than it sounds XD I also promise at least one CG for the fundraising as well ^_^ (I hope...)
LOL I LOVE the name Camellia (Primarily from Tsubaki both from brothers conflict and Soul Eater) So I approve of your choice ^_^ I'd be happy to make him related to one of the boys~ It won't change too, too much. Maybe some intro events, but that's about it.
I'll see if I can make the animal system work~ and I love clothing systems >:D Hence the OC system. I hope to make a video showing that, because I made a super awesome graphic menu that took hours to make LOL I want to show it off >.<
Ahhh thank you~ I'm so glad you like them. I'm excited to make Jet's emotions XD Those'll be hilarious. They'll be like:
Lol Jet is fun XD
LOL I want to draw the crossdressing XD
I'm SO Glad you liked it! I told him you enjoyed it, and he was absolutely flattered :) He just finished up to the honeymoon thus far, so it's getting very exciting ^_^ I'll be happy to show everyone Aris's voice, but maybe after I reveal his new personality and everyone hates me for the changes I made to him ;-;
Hearing from you made my day :D I've had an awesome day! I hope this update is as decent ^_^;; Have a great day again~!
Final Thoughts of this update
But anyways, I know it's not a HUGE update length wise, but I need to end it here to advance. I REALLY hope you guys enjoyed all the new features, and the update! I'm sorry I wasn't able to push out any face sprites or anything of the sort lately, but I spent several hours making the graphics for the systems for the OCs and for Creature etc. I hope everyone still enjoyed the update :)
UNtil next time~