The project is fine LOL
Too fine... Actually.
Here's the deal though- aside from the gameplay elements like cutscenes, complete dialogue, art etc, the game is entirely playable. We're approaching the end stages of the demo development. While we're still a ways off, we're probably going to be ending the early access demo sign up around the end of June.
I'm going to talk about where we go from here etc.
Where do we go from here
We'll be continuing as normal for the time being, but soon I'll be updating the website on what you guys need to know and the icky old graphics ehe
Almost there guys... we've come so far.
[Mechanics] Celestial Dance: Character Locations
If you’re fans of harvest moon, you may know that characters move around and have schedules of where you can find them as the days go on. If you’re fans of animal crossing, you’ll know that characters appear randomly through your village, but have specific wake times and sleep times based on personality.
Celestial Dance kind of falls in between these two.
When waking up in the morning, we haven’t decided what time exactly but the time you wake up is currently 6am. Each household has a different time of waking up between 6am-10am. When a character first wakes up, they will stay in their room for an hour before moving about.
Every hour or so, some character will go to one of their many locations (Which is their choice everyday). Because of the character roster size, you’re never truly alone in the town. While most of the time they don’t have a set schedule, you can sometimes find characters together, or they can appear in the same place every day.
The major thing to note about character movement and locations is that they have a mind of their own. Unlike harvest moon, they don’t have set locations and unlike Animal crossing, the characters are across a larger world. It keeps things fresh but still can add to the difficulty of romancing and friendship courting.
[Mini-Game] Pop-up Cafe worker
Reward: Money towards project
In the CD universe, a lot of things are for a mass benefit instead of just one person. Fundraisers are something you can hold in the town that is dedicated to an entirely selfless cause. You can hold them once a week, and pay for supplies, advertising and choose the fundraiser and what you’re fundraising for. More options become available as you get older (i.e. in chapter 1 you can fund-raise for a vending machine, and one of the fundraisers is the pop-up cafe.)
You may have to do several fundraisers to reach some of the greater goals.
The Pop-up Cafe
If you’d like, you can also donate to the cause. How you do so is a secret.
[Artwork] Juliet Rye revamp
Her dialogue for the demo is also complete~!
Side note: Julie is the one character that makes me cry tbh. Her role in your life is huge and there are a lot of instances where she shows her true colours as mom- especially later in the game. It crushes me but I love it all in one.
[Artwork] Young Kandi Johnson Revamp
[Artwork] Lia Kirimura revamp
[Artwork] Young Tytannia
I love how freaking adorable she is with her little grin and dino tee. It's so Tannia.
Tytannia lives with Lara and Tristan at the Inn, her half-sister looking after her on occasion. She's spunky with a lot of energy and an even worse ability in the kitchen than Julie.
[Artwork] Demitra Farron Update
[Artwork] The Choko Siblings
All four siblings rule the trading center of the town. Each has their own responsibilities and function.
CV: Sara Dunham
The eldest daughter of the group, Minti has a solid handle of the town’s going ons. She is sweet, warm and nurturing but she has a knack to tease the remaining . She runs the more romance-oriented shop selling dinner tickets, flowers and other things to court your true love.
The twin sister of Silky, Milky is the slightly sadistic and angry member of the family. She was raised apart from Minti and Silky. She runs the tool and utility section, selling fishing rods and other items including the service of refining ores to gems.
CV: Singing Samine
The twin sister of Milky, Silky is the airy and light sister of the Choko family. She sleeps relatively easily, sometimes in the midst of her sentence. She runs the fundraiser portion of the center, where you can go to her to start fundraising for a project.
The young and innocent adoptive brother of the Choko’s. Legally Minti’s son, as the kids are orphaned. He runs the bakery and is the object of Minti’s affection.
[Teaser] CD prints
The part covered by my hand is the promo art. What can you make out from under the hand that drew it?
List of things we did
- Dialogue of 5 characters was added to their respective dialogue banks. Julie’s dialogue is almost complete, as well as some minor character’s dialogue banks filled completely for CHP 1.
- The town hours system was tested. Stores and houses open and close at certain times and work wonderfully.
- The characters appear in their locations! The schedule system works~! You can see in the pic above the mom appearing in one of her morning locations: The Kitchen (Likely experimenting with baking soda and sprinkles)
- The promo / Main art is complete! We'll display it when the time is right.
- Several cutscenes have been planned out for chapter 1.
- The new custom maps (of the housing and shopping district) have been phased in slowly into the main game and therefore their seasonal tilesets (Changing seasons) have been slowly edited / Created.
- With the exception of maps that we have yet to finish, characters have been placed in their specified locations. We’re experimenting with them leaving at the top of the hour but I’m not sure?
- I have several references for indoor maps and housing exteriors I’ve collected via real estate magazines. Thanks for that junk mail~
- We made random prints of the promo art and the main Max CG and they look pretty. It was just so we had more prints idk.
- Character backgrounds have been fleshed out and some secrets have been added into the game.
- Got started on the seasonal tileset for the custom housing district and shopping district maps (That I made for the buildings)
And it's my 21st birthday too...
I'm actually turning 21... and the game's demo is reaching a point where I'm almost ready to send it out... It's pretty insane. I'm really satisfied with the progress.
This year wasn't the best for me. 20 was actually likely the worst year of my life but that's starting to change for the better now- and I'm really happy to say that I'm now okay and I will be and this game will be better than ever. I promise you guys that <3
Thanks everyone for your ongoing support. It won't be much longer now. For real this time.